Malwarebytes CTNT Q2 Report 2018
In nearly every malware category across Q1, both business and consumer detections, we saw a decrease in volume, corroborating our general “Dang, it’s been a little too quiet in here” sentiments since starting the new year.
But as Malwarebytes released their 2nd quarter report, new developments in ransomware and cryptomining drove the market, and Q2 attacks generally showed more sophistication than their Q1 counterparts.
While 2017 outbreaks such as WannaCry and NotPetya have been as yet unmatched in terms of distribution volume and impact, VPNFilter, SamSam, and other complicated campaigns show that 2018 may just be the year of higher-level, targeted attacks.
Some key report takeaways:
- Cryptomining is still a hot issue, but is beginning to decline
- GandCrab has emerged as the king ransomware variant
- Adware is up 19% over last quarter across consumers
- VPNFilter debuted with over 500,000 detections
- Exploits are on the rise
- Scammers are increasingly targeting PII (Personally Identifiable Information)
This is why Computer Merchants and Malwarebytes are now offering a free trial of both Endpoint Protection and Incident Response for enterprises just like yourself. 100 laptops for 30-days; a quick check for any malware lurking in your organisation. Contact your friendly Computer Merchants representative to learn more, or to get your free trial started today!