Actively Manage your Energy with IBM’s Active Energy Manager
Active Energy Manager (formally IBM Director PowerExecutive) measures, monitors, and manages the energy components built into IBM systems enabling a cross-platform management solution. Active Energy Manager is an extension of IBM Director that supports BladeCenter, POWER Systems and System x servers.
It also provides a source of energy management data that can be exploited by Tivoli enterprise solutions such as Tivoli Monitoring and Tivoli Usage and Accounting Manager. Active Energy Manager is a key component of IBM’s Cool Blue portfolio within Project Big Green.
This solution helps customers monitor energy consumption to allow better utilization of available energy resources. The application software enables customers to trend actual energy consumption and corresponding thermal loading of IBM Systems running in their environment with their applications.
Active Energy Manager has other advantages as well
- It’s the only energy management software tool that can provide a single view of the actual power usage across multiple platforms
- It increases energy efficiency by controlling power use across the data centre
- It can limit server power consumption by capping maximum power consumption
- It can improve energy efficiency resulting in substantial savings and cost reductions
- It offers out of the box management for single IBM systems while being able to provide a cross environment view of power and thermal usage within an IT shop
- Plan for the future by viewing trends of power usage over time
- Monitor and report actual power usage and thermal information
- Use power trending to assist in better data centre decision making.
Active Energy Manager is a cornerstone of IBM’s Project Big Green initiative.
Learn more about IBM Active Energy Manager (including their 60 day free trial download).