Softek Replicator – Helping to recover data more quickly with volume-level replication
Softek™ Replicator software provides an efficient, reliable method to help ensure usable data recovery regardless of storage vendor or server platform. In doing so, it enables any data protection budget to stretch further.
In addition to being essential for disaster recovery, Softek Replicator software helps reduce downtime for backup windows while enabling centralised backup from remote sites.
Replicator software provides advanced volume-level replication for fast data recovery in widely used IBM AIX®, HP-UX, Solaris, Red Hat Linux® and Microsoft® Windows® environments and supports virtualised environments (VMware).
Offering flexibility with point-in-time copies for protection beyond backups, Replicator software can make two copies of source data at the same time – one copy can be a remote copy for disaster-recovery use while the local copy assists with backup processes.
Additionally, Replicator software’s write-order consistency provides continuous transfers of updated data to help minimise data loss and recovery time should an interruption occur.
ICT organisations with huge databases and shrinking backup windows can back up a point-in-time copy, thereby increasing availability. Data is replicated while applications remain active, and backups are carried out from the point-in-time copy during normal business hours. For centralised backups, production data can be replicated from remote locations to a central site where the backup is taken from the point-in-time copies.
Softek™ Replicator software delivers virtually uncompromised data integrity because the source data is not changed during replication. In a database environment in which the database may reside over multiple volumes, it is critical to treat all volumes as one logical entity.
Replicator software does this not only by grouping volumes together but also by ensuring the correct write order for all data. With staging areas on both the primary and secondary servers, Replicator software helps ensure that the data is in a usable state for continuous availability.
Softek Transparent Data Migration Facility (TDMF)
Softek TDMF is designed to move data between multivendor storage arrays without application outages. It is a host-based software that helps enable local or long-distance data migration at the volume level and supports IBM z/OS®, Microsoft® Windows®, UNIX® and Linux® environments.
Reasons for Data Migration
- Operational infrastructure (optimisation)
- Storage consolidation
- End of storage lease
- Server equipment replacement
- Storage equipment replacement (technology refresh)
- Patent-pending non-disruptive Dynamic Swap migration – Transparent cutover to new storage without application outage
- Dynamic configuration – Volumes can be included or excluded at virtually any time
- Throttled migration – Low impact to applications on the server
- Data Mobility Console feature – Central management console to manage migrations across all major platforms
- Works seamlessly with (or without) a volume manager or file system – Host-based offering ensures support for all arrays
- Large scalability – Volume grouping enables easy migration of thousands of volumes
Enhanced availability and recoverability with Softek TDMF z/OS add-on modules
- Point-in-time (PIT), perpetual point-in-time (PPIT), offline volume access (OVA) and Transmission
- Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- Helps reduce the risk and cost associated with data migration on a multivendor, multiplatform solution
- Facilitates protection against data corruption and loss by tracking and validating the data migrated
See also: Data Mobility Services – Softek Replicator (PDF file 64kb, opens in new window)