We understand that most businesses want end-to-end IT solutions that solve a business need. A complete solution may include new hardware, installation and set-up, migration, software loads, systems development and much more. Computer Merchants services team can provide this complete solution; there is rarely a job too specialised or a location too remote where we cannot help you.
Companies rely on an efficient IT infrastructure to support their business-critical applications. IBM i offers a highly scalable and virus resistant architecture with a proven reputation for exceptional business resiliency. Running applications based on i has helped companies over many years to focus on innovation and delivering new value to their business, not just on managing their data centre operations.
The new IBM i 7.1 release sets a standard for total integration of business applications.
System i Operating System 7.1 Highlights
IBM i Access Client Solutions
- IBM i Access Client Solutions is the newest member of the IBM i Access family.
- Provides a Java based, platform-independent interface that runs on most operating systems that support Java, including Linux, Mac and Windows™.
- It is an alternative to the original Windows, Linux and Web clients.
- Combines Data Transfer, 5250 Emulation and Navigator for i into a single interface
IBM Rational Developer for Power Systems Software
- Graphical interface for IBM i application development.
- SEU “Green Screen” application development editor will no longer be enhanced from 6.1.
- All source validations will be performed through the Rational Developer suite.
IBM Systems Director Navigator for i
- Manage IBM i V5R4, 6.1 or 7.1 systems.
- One application used to manage multiple environments.
- Support for Tape and Journal management.
DB2 Web Query V2.1
- Graphical report authoring tools. SQL based.
- Business Intelligence – store, manage and analyse data.
- Version V2.1 requires IBM i 6.1 or later.
Virtualization support with PowerVM is extended to enable IBM i 6.1 to host i 7.1 partitions and storage to enable simpler testing of a new release before a software upgrade. IBM i 7.1 can also host an IBM i 6.1 partition, enabling companies to keep an application that requires an earlier release after upgrading their main application environment.
- Deliver services faster by automating deployment of virtual machines and storage.
- Optimise utilisation of server and storage resources to control cost and boost ROI.
- Scale your virtualised deployments without paying underlying performance penalties
Solid State Drives
Solid State Drives (SSDs) are an “enterprise” version of the type of storage you find in a USB flash drive. As there are no moving parts the seek times and latency speeds are substantially reduced from that of hard disk drives.
IBM i now can automatically collect I/O performance data and moves most active data to Solid State Drives (SSD) to achieve optimal performance.
DB2 XML Support – 7.1
Data can be stored in its native XML format, split into relational database columns, or created from existing database objects. Improves data exchange between customers, suppliers, and partners.
Operating System Levels – End of IBM Support
Your business should be aware that Operating Systems do have an end of life support date with IBM.
You can check the status of your current Operating System level at the following link:
O/S IBM End of Support Date
v5r1 30th September 2005
v5r2 30th April 2007
v5r3 30th April 2009
v5r4 30th September 2013
Computer Merchants services team have had extensive experience in operating system upgrades and are more than happy to discuss options in relation to planning your system upgrade.